“Research proves the most effective ministries to offenders combine evangelism, discipleship and mentoring. Kairos has figured out these interventions are important not only inside but outside the prison walls.”
The slogan of Kairos, “Changing Hearts, Transforming Lives, Impacting the World” is the essence of what Kairos does.
During the initial Kairos weekend, Kairos volunteers serve as God’s instrument through which His love, grace and mercy are expressed to the participants/guests in a real and profound way. God begins changing hearts.
Following their weekend experience, participants/guests are encouraged to take responsibility for their life choices and their relations with God; they are invited to engage in small accountability groups. Kairos volunteers continue to return monthly to provide mentoring and guidance through these accountability groups. It is here that Kairos participants/guests begin to replace old ways of thinking with new and they learn they are not alone on this journey. They realize there is a hope for a future. The prison environment begins to change; family relationships start to heal…..God is transforming lives.
IMPACTING THE WORLD
As the Kairos community inside a prison grows and begins to gain influence, the incidences of violence decreases. Incarcerated participants who are released re-enter the outside world with a God centered, perspective and focus on becoming productive citizens. Female family members find support, strength and encouragement. Youthful offenders acquire new God centered values and change their direction in life. Families are reunited with a hope for the future.
PRAYERS FOR KAIR
First UMC’s Kairos Prison ministry team this year consists of Kelly Capps, Dick Spining, and Barbie Spining.
COOKIES FOR KAIROS INSTRUCTIONS
“I was in prison and you came unto me…” Matthew 25:3
We are assisting the La Palma Correctional Center Kairos team in baking 3500 dozen cookies–enough for each resident to receive 1/2 dozen cookies during the upcoming September 4 – 7 weekend. Even with each inside team member committing to baking over 125 dozen cookies, we still need help from all spiritual communities and others who love God’s people. A few dozen from each of you can become a blessing. Financial contributions for cookie ingredients would be welcomed as well.
Below is a checklist to help you plan your sweet testament to God’s grace!
PLEASE FOLLOW ALL RECOMMENDATIONS CAREFULLY:
• Please use your favorite recipe. Oatmeal. chocolate chip (chocolate chips & butterscotch chips are ok), molasses, and gingersnaps seem to freeze best. Peanut Butter is ok, but must be labeled due to nut allergies.
• Please use butter flavored Crisco in your recipe. (shortening freezes much better than margarine or oil).
• All cookies should be uniform in size: 2″ to 2 1/2″.
• lt is recommended you freeze the cookies before packaging them. (This prevents them from sticking together in the bags.)
• To package cookies use QUART SIZE PRESS TO CLOSE (not tabbed slide close) STORAGE BAGS, and place 6 cookies in each bag.
• Please label each bag with cookie type. (a strip of masking tape works well) Important Important Important
• DO NOT make “no bake” or sugar cookies.
• DO NOT add any kind of nuts, raisins, poppy seeds or fruits to your cookies.
• DO NOT frost or sprinkle your cookies with anything. No powdered sugar, granulated sugar, sprinkles. etc.
• DO NOT make extremely moist cookies. (They do not travel well.)
Please bring your cookies clearly marked “For Kairos” to the church kitchen anytime before 4:00 PM on Wednesday before we leave.